PhD Position in American Studies in Doctoral Program “Cultural Mobility Studies”, Vienna
(Deadline: May 26th, 2019)
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.800 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 01.10.2019 of a
Project Staff (prae doc)
at the Research Platform Mobile Cultures and Societies – Interdisciplinary Studies on Transnational Formations to 30.09.2023.
Reference number: 9622
As part of the FWF-funded doc.funds doctoral program in
Cultural Mobility Studies, seven PhD positions, one each in the disciplines of African Studies, American Studies, Cultural Studies, Development Studies, Geography, Modern German Studies/Comparative Literature, and Political Science are advertised.
Further information regarding research topics in each discipline can be found on the research platform?s website: https://mobilecultures.univie.ac.at/docfunds/ For more information about the FWF, please consult their website: https://www.fwf.ac.at.
The research platform Mobile Cultures and Societies: Interdisciplinary Studies on Transnational Formations examines phenomena, conditions, and effects of cultural, historical, and social mobility. The research platform combines different disciplinary approaches, theories, and methods to develop new categories with regard to contents, structures, and approaches in the field of mobility studies.
Duration of employment: 4 year/s
Extent of Employment: 30 hours/week Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
– Developing and writing an independent PhD thesis in the field of mobility studies from a literary, cultural, historical, political, or social science studies perspective
– Participation in the thematic formation, establishment, and international networking of an interdisciplinary research platform
– Organization of conferences, meetings, symposiums – Participation in platform organization
– Contributions to publications Profile:
– MA degree or completed graduate studies in literary, cultural, historical, political, development, or social science studies or geography
– Dissertation project in the field of mobility studies
– Interest in interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary cooperation and research
– High written and oral competences in English preferable
– Written and oral competences in German preferable, otherwise: willingness to learn German
– International experience or study abroad experiences preferable
– Willingness to work in a team
– Computer literacy
Required documents for the application (in German or English): – Letter of intent/motivation (1-2 pages) with explicit mention for which position/discipline the
candidate is applying – Scientific CV / List of publications
– Dissertation project proposal (5-10 pages), including research timeline and research bibliography
– Graduation certificates and a chapter of your accomplished thesis
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 26.05.2019, mentioning reference number 9622.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Human Resources and Gender Equality of the University of Vienna
Reference number: 9622