Dr. Jelena Šesnić, Professor
||Full Professor, Department of English, University of Zagreb|
||Chair, American Studies Program, Department of English, University of Zagreb|
||President, Croatian Association for American Studies
|2012||Associate Professor, Department of English, University of Zagreb
|2011-2013||Head, Department of English, University of Zagreb
|2005||PhD in Philology (Zagreb University)|
|2001||MA in Philology (Zagreb University)|
|1997||BA, English and Comparative Literature (Zagreb University)|
Nineteenth- and twentieth-century American literature; methodology of American Studies; trauma theory, memory studies, cultures of the Croatian anglophone diaspora
Aspects of American Romanticism; War, Reconstruction, Transformation: Am. Lit. 1860-1914; The Nineteenth-Century American Novel; The American Bilgunsroman of the 19th and 20th C.; American Women’s Writing in the 19th Century
Croatian American Ethnic Literature; Contemporary US Ethnic Literatures; History and Memory in Contemporary American Novel; History and Methodology of American Studies 2
Ethnic, National and Transnational Identities in an Era of Globalization; History and Memory in Contemporary American Novel; American Women’s Writing and Capitalist Modernity; Croatian American Writing and the Poetics of Transculturation; Images of American Politics in Literature and Visual Media
– 2014-. Research team member, HRZZ-1543 project: A Cultural History of Capitalism: Britain, America, Croatia
– 2013-: Co-organizer of the CAAS annual American Studies Workshops
– 2016-: Vice-president of the AASSEE (Association for American Studies in Southeast Europe)
– Member of editoral boards of Književna smotra and Borderlands (e-journal of the AASSEE)
– June 2011: Participant, Forum for Young Researchers, European Science Foundation, National University of Ireland
– 2010: Co-founder, secretary, Croatian Association for American Studies (HUAmS)
– 2009/10: Erasmus guest lecturer, American studies, University of Graz
– Mračne žene. Prikazi ženstva u američkoj književnosti (1820.-1860.). Zagreb: Leykam International, 2010. (Dark Ladies: Figures of Femininity in American Literature, 1820-1860)
– From Shadow to Presence: Representations of Ethnicity in Contemporary American Literature. Amsterdam, New York: Rodopi, 2007.
Collections of essays
– The Errant Labor of the Humanities: Festschrift Presented to Stipe Grgas. Ed. Sven Cvek, Borislav Knežević and Jelena Šesnić. Zagreb: FF press, 2017.
– Siting America/ Sighting Modernity: Essays in Honor of Sonja Bašić. Ed. Jelena Šesnić. Zagreb: FF Press, 2010.
– Šesnić, Jelena, and Sven Cvek, eds. Working Papers in American Studies, Vol. III. The (Un)usable Pasts in American Studies. Zagreb: Hrvatsko udruženje za američke studije/Croatian Association for American Studies, 2018.
– Šesnić, Jelena and Sven Cvek, eds. Working Papers in American Studies. Vol. II. Quarter of a Century after the Fall of the Berlin Wall: Perspectives and Directions in Croatian and Regional American Studies. Zagreb: Hrvatsko udruženje za američke studije, 2016.
– Književna smotra. Znaci vremena. Povodom 80 godina zagrebačke anglistike. Ur. Borislav Knežević i Jelena Šesnić. XLVI/2014, 172 (2).
Link to complete bibliography at CROSBI: https://bib.irb.hr/lista-radova?autor=236460