Irena Zovko Dinković was born in Zagreb, where she studied at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, obtaining a bachelor’s degree in English and French languages and literatures. In 2007 she obtained her PhD, with a thesis entitled Negation in English and Croatian. She is currently Associate Professor at the Chair of English Language. She spent some time abroad on various research grants (the Czech Republic, France, USA) and she collaborated on several scientific research projects. She helped with the analysis of data from the Croatian language for prof. Robert D. Van Valin’s book An introduction to Syntax, published in 2001, and with abbreviations from French for the Dictionary of Abbreviations (Rječnik kratica) by Stjepan Babić and Milena Žic Fuchs, published in 2007.
Contrastive analysis of English syntax and the syntax of other languages, semantic and pragmatic aspects of language, the interrelation of language, mind and culture.
English Syntax I
Linguistic Seminar in Syntax
From 1996 to 2000 Irena Zovko Dinković was secretary of the linguistic journal Suvremena lingvistika and in the year 2000 she was co-secretary of the Cognitive Syntax and Semantics conference in Dubrovnik. Since 2009 she has been member of the evaluation committee for the evaluation of highschool English textbooks with the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports. She is member of the Croatian Applied Linguistics Society, Croatian Society for English Studies and International Cognitive Linguistics Association.
· Irena Zovko Dinković, Linda Gros. Spatial Minds: Conceptual Correlations of Spatial Prepositions in Hungarian, Croatian and English. Newcastle upon Tyne : Cambridge Scholars Publishing (2018.)
• ‘Negacija u jeziku: kontrastivna analiza negacije u engleskome i hrvatskome jeziku’. Zagreb: Hrvatska sveučilišna naklada (2013.)
• ‘Egzistencijalni glagoli u hrvatskome’, Suvremena lingvistika vol. 37, br. 72: 279-294, Zagreb: Filozofski fakultet (2011.)
• ‘Određivanje izravnih objekata u hrvatskome: dva objekta u akuzativu’, Hrvatski sintaktički dani: sintaksa padeža, (ur.) Birtić, Matea i Dunja Brozović Rončević, str. 267-276, Osijek i Zagreb: Filozofski fakultet u Osijeku i Institut za hrvatski jezik i jezikoslovlje u Zagrebu (2010.)
• (s Renatom Geld) ‘Perfectives, imperfectives and the Croatian present tense’, Cognitive Linguistics Research Series 38: Cognitive Paths into the Slavic Domain, (ur.) Divjak, Dagmar i Agata Kochańska, str. 111 – 148, Berlin i New York: Mouton de Gruyter (2007.)
• ‘Dative Alternation in Croatian’, Suvremena lingvistika 63: 65 – 83, Zagreb: Zavod za lingvistiku Filozofskoga fakulteta (2007.)
• ‘Locative Alternation in English and Croatian’, Studia romanica et anglica zagrabiensia, svezak XLVII-XLVIII, str. 585-596, Zagreb: Filozofski fakultet (2002. – 2003.)
• ‘Odnos prema tuđicama u engleskom i francuskom jeziku’, Jezična norma i varijeteti: zbornik, (ur.) Badurina, Lada, Boris Pritchard i Diana Stolac, str. 627-632, Zagreb-Rijeka: Hrvatsko društvo za primijenjenu lingvistiku (1998.)
available at http://bib.irb.hr/lista-radova?autor=247010&lang=EN